The cause of certain forms of acne can have a dramatic impact on a person’s mental health. Have a look at the following list to see if you can relate to any of these issues.
- Unpredictable moods
- Self-Analysing – always looking in the mirror focusing on your flaws
- Low self esteem
- Wearing the same clothes day after day because you feel so awkward in anything else you own
- Self-aware to the point that it borders on paranoia
- Insomnia or taking a long time to get to sleep due to having thoughts that you cannot knock off
- Quick to anger
- Feeling very tired especially after eating carbs/sugar
- Constant headaches
- Foggy brain
- Difficulty concentrating
- A sickly stomach that feels like butterflies and makes you feel very nervous – This can often be misdiagnosed as acid problems with GPs prescribing PPIs despite the patient not experiencing any burning or acid reflux
These symptoms often come with small whiteheads that appear around or inside of the nose or around the edge of the lips.
If you can relate to any of these symptoms, you can take a positive step forward:
- Eat when you wake up and eat regularly throughout the day
- Avoid sugary cereals and instead opt for a breakfast that contains fat, protein and a small amount of carbs. For example, 1/2 avocado, eggs with toast
- Each meal should contain fat, protein and a small amount of carbs
- Avoiding drinking alcohol on an empty stomach
- Introduce healthy oil in the form of Omega 3, flaxseed oil, linseed oil or cod liver oil
- Check your fingernails – if you have small white marks opt to take 15mg of zinc each day with food – see how you feel as when zinc is deficient you tend to feel energised after 15 minutes of taking.
- B12 may prove beneficial – try taking 1000mg each day for one week and see if you feel better.
- Speak with your GP and have your blood tested for folic acid, vitamin D and Iron and take as or if instructed to do so
- A good quality multi-vitamin can prove worthwhile such as Biocare Adult multi vitamin
- If you find it difficult to motivate yourself and feel tired all of the time you could try 200mg selenium twice a day and see if that helps.
- If you have twitching legs and feel stressed and have difficulty sleeping 300mg-600mg of magnesium may prove beneficial before going to bed
- Electrolyte health drinks taken daily are also beneficial to keeping your skin clear
- Drink water throughout the day to flush out kidneys