The cause of certain forms of acne can have a dramatic impact on a person’s mental health. Have a look at the following list to see if you can relate to any of these issues.
- Unpredictable moods
- Self-Analysing – always looking in the mirror focusing on your flaws
- Low self esteem
- Wearing the same clothes day after day because you feel so awkward in anything else you own
- Self-aware to the point that it borders on paranoia
- Insomnia or taking a long time to get to sleep due to having thoughts that you cannot knock off
- Quick to anger
- Feeling very tired especially after eating carbs/sugar
- Constant headaches
- Foggy brain
- Difficulty concentrating
- A sickly stomach that feels like butterflies and makes you feel very nervous – This can often be misdiagnosed as acid problems with GPs prescribing PPIs despite the patient not experiencing any burning or acid reflux
These symptoms often come with small whiteheads that appear around or inside of the nose or around the edge of the lips.
If you can relate to any of these symptoms, you can take a positive step forward:
- Eat when you wake up
- Avoid sugary cereals and instead opt for a breakfast that contains fat, protein and a small amount of carbs. For example, 1/2 avocado, eggs with toast
- Each meal should contain fat, protein and a small amount of carbs
- Eat regularly throughout the day avoiding high sugar snacks to include fruit smoothies
- Avoiding drinking alcohol on an empty stomach
The reasoning behind the advice is simply to slow down the process of glucose entering your bloodstream. It maybe that you are deficient of zinc, manganese, selenium, chromium, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D and or B vitamins. Your body needs these nutrients for blood sugar to be absorbed efficiently.
A hair test can prove beneficial to allow you to make adjustments yourself. If you are unsure about self-prescribing, speak with a health provider to get guidance. It is not necessary to take one specific mineral or vitamin long-term. A good health practitioner will provide guidance with the amount to take and the length of time until balance is achieved.
A good quality multi-vitamin can provide balance over time and is a safer option if you are trying to resolve acne on your own.
It is important for me to note. For those on a dairy free diet it should not be assumed that you are calcium deficient. Many of my clients have had very high levels of calcium and without magnesium the body will build this up in the same manner it builds up the white chalk substance in a kettle. It can be dangerous to take calcium without knowing how much you already have in your body. Guidance should always be sought from a health provider who is proficient in the use of hair test reading to allow you to supplement correctly.